Friday, July 20, 2007

CLNE

Clean Energy Fuels

IPO was in May earlier this year. One of the biggest shareholders is Boone Pickens. Billionaire oil tycoon who has been an advocate of clean energy for sometime. He is currently in China building relationships.

Think about it:

China is an emerging market that is on fire with double digit growth. They have tons of money in reserve. More importantly, they have ~1.3 billion people (US has 300MM). With the world population at about ~6.6 billion, China has ~20% of the worlds population. That is a lot of people that need to travel. They already have a smog problem bigger than California's and they have already adopted clean fuel in over 2000 of their mass transport buses. If CLNE can book some business there, I think this stocks climbs and climbs fast.

In addition to working on China, CLNE operates in the US and soon in Peru.

Disclaimer: This is a risky small cap play. Don't put all of your retirement in it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Google reported quarterly earnings after the bell on Thursday and I played the volatility differently but used the same principle. I bought 25 shares hoping for a big hit but allowed myself the ability to buy up to 75 more on a big miss. Even though the miss was small, investors had bid the stock up in anticipation of good earnings so it dropped 40 points. I didn't do anything on Friday because it was an options expiration day and because I wanted more of the volatility surrounding earnings to dissipate. Currently I'm down 24 points and my plan is to cut that in half by buying 25 more shares sometime this week. I probably won't hold the stock more than a couple of weeks and I'll try to get out sooner even if I have to take a loss. Because it's earnings season other opportunities will present themselves and I want to have the necessary cash available.